« Home | Matayo Ads » | From Asa's Blog... » | Halter Stays On The Ballot » | The Truth About Asa! » | Mark Moore Resigns As Holt Campaign Manager » | Ark. gov. candidates trade swipes on abortion, sur... » | Like Father, Like Son » | Reid Uses F-Word On Judicial Nominees… » | Arkansas Dems & Hillary » | Lt. Gov. Debate... » 

Monday, May 15, 2006 

I walk the line...

HOTLINE: AS A GREAT SON OF ARKANSAS ONCE SAID, "I WALK THE LINE"


Ex-Rep. Asa Hutchinson (R) said at a 5/6 AP forum in Pine Bluff that AG Mike Beebe (D) uses "code words" employed by abortion-rights supporters. Beebe hit back that Hutchinson was not being straight on the issue, specifically pointing to whether Hutchinson would back a ban like the one passed in SD. Hutchinson said he was "clear" in his pro-life stance, and would oppose the procedure except for rape, incest or the life of the mother. Hutchinson: "My opponent has not stated a clear position, but uses the old abortion rights code words that 'I am personally opposed but I believe the government should stay out.' There is a clear difference on this issue." Beebe responded he is "not unclear" about his position. Beebe: "I am personally opposed to abortion, as he indicated. There is not anything equivocal about that at all. I have also voted to restrict abortions by voting to ban partial-birth abortion and voting to require parental notification and would even require parental consent, assuming the constitutionality of it. I have also took an oath to support the constitution and I will do that. I believe abortion should be made available for rape, incest and the health of the mother." Hutchinson then shot back that he was still confused, as “the issue is governmental action." Hutchinson: "'Personally opposed' [are] the code words for the pro-choice position." Asked what abortion legislation he'd pursue, Hutchinson said he would seek to enact a partial-birth ban. As for a total ban, Hutchinson said he had not "completely digested" the SD law, but that a "frontal attack" on abortion was "not something [he'd]push as governor." He added, though, that if the Supreme Court reconsiders Roe "we can look at any additional steps." Beebe: “I don't know what that answer was. I can tell you that I won’t “push for an SD-like ban

Google
 
Powered by Blogger